The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) said the heavy deployment of anti-riot police in the vicinity of the MDC headquarters, the Morgan Richard Tsvangirai (MRT) House, in Harare on Monday was meant to ensure peace prevails.
National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said they had to deploy forces after getting information that there were machinations to cause violence by one of the MDC factions.
The ZRP maintained law and order in Harare CBD today after reports of purported violence at Harvest House had been reported. Basically, Police were ensuring that peace prevails in the CBD.
The MDC-T youth assembly led by Paul Gorekore seized the building and demanded that party leaders who were elected into positions in 2014 resolve their differences and comply with the March Supreme Court ruling.
Gorekore called for all future meetings of the National Council and National Executive to meet at MRT House and accused the Thokozani Khupe-led faction of working with ZANU PF to weaken the party.
Below is the 2014 National Standing Committee Structure as reported from some quarters.
- President Morgan Tsvangirai (Deceased)
- Vice President Thokozani Khupe
- National Chairman Lovemore Moyo (Resigned)
- Vice-Chair Morgen Komichi
- Secretary-General Douglas Mwonzora
- Vice SG Pauline Mupariwa
- Treasurer General Theresa Makone (NC)
- Deputy TG Chalton Hwende (NC)
- Organising Secretary Abedinico Bhebhe (NC)
- Deputy Organiser Amos Chibaya (NC)
- Info and Publicity Obert Gutu (status-unknown)
Deputy Information Thabitha Khumalo (NC)
- Sec for Elections Murisi Zwizwai (NC)
- Youth Chair Happymore Chidziva (NC)
- Women Chair Lynette Kore (NC)
- Presidential Affairs Cecil Zvidzai (NC)