Community Borehole Poisoned in Kwekwe


Local authorities in Ward 31 in Munyathi, Kwekwe, had to disconnect a community borehole after unknown people allegedly threw cyanide and contaminated its water.

Ward 31 Councilor Tichafa Chitate told the Chronicle that two donkeys died instantly after consuming the contaminated water prompting the owner to raise alarm.

He said:
The man was making his donkeys drink water at the water source as it is used by both villagers and their livestock.

Luckily the owner did not drink the water himself but made the donkeys drink and they collapsed and died instantly.

That is when he raised alarm and we decided to disconnect the borehole as a precaution until we ascertain what happened.

The villagers are now facing acute water challenges as the next borehole is far from them. The situation is even worse for livestock.

But we are working with relevant authorities so that the situation be addressed as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, Environmental Management Agency (EMA) Kwekwe District Officer, Daniel Magombedze said the samples tested positive for cyanide.

Said Magombedze:
I can confirm that we rushed to Munyathi where we collected samples for testing and they indeed tested positive for poisoning.

We also advised the community to stop using the borehole until a solution is found.

About Post Author


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *